Growing up, I was always being taught manners and respectfulness, so it comes naturally for me to open doors for anyone who’s behind me or needs help…of course it should, I’ve got a pending OCD only child for a mother(she reads every post I write, so it’s okay) and a third-born dad which should say a lot:) Anyway, it’s a habit. Sometimes I get mad at myself when I forget to hold the door open for someone, or when I’m not able to help someone at the moment, more so when it’s a girl or woman. But what’s even worse for me is when there is another guy there watching that girl/woman struggle and not doing anything.
It’s just plain rude!
Sometimes I wish we could go back in time to, maybe, the 1800s or so, when etiquette and manners were a big deal. The way society operated was so much more filled with respect for others. I mean, I can understand some girls like to do things for themselves and don’t always appreciate the help of us guys, but seriously? Guys nowadays need to step up their game.
Here’s a list of stuff I’m talking about (and these are just a few):
- When a pregnant lady is pushing the shopping cart while the man has his hands in his pockets.
- When a girl is carrying something heavy, and a guy is there just watching.
- Whatever happened to guys opening a simple car door for girls?
- It’s very rare I see a guy pull open a chair for a lady, let alone offer the last chair.
- Even terms of respect are scarce, like “Yes ma’am” and “Yes sir”.
I guess common courtesy isn’t so common.
“Let nothing be done through strife or vain glory; but in lowliness of mind let each esteem other better than themselves.”-Phillipians 2:3
Thanks for reading! – Joshua B.